Skip to main content
- Carefully check wooden objects for insect infestation or mould before adding them to a collection.
- Keep temperature and relative humidity within the ranges 15 – 25 °C and 40 – 60 % respectively with maximum variations of 4 °C and 5 % in any 24 hour period. Hot, dry conditions will cause wood to shrink and crack while excessively moist conditions will cause it to swell and warp.
- Never expose wooden objects to direct sunlight. In addition to causing photochemical damage, veneers and glues may be affected, resulting in lifting, warping or cracking.
- Do not put objects on top of polished surfaces as they could scratch or otherwise damage the surface finish.
- When storing large objects, place bubble wrap over them and dust covers on top.