- Store sound glass in a stable environment with temperature and relative humidity ranges of 15 - 25 °C and 40 – 60 % respectively with maximum variations of 4 °C and 5 % respectively in any 24 hour period.
- Handle glass objects with disposable rubber gloves or clean bare hands.
- Carry objects one at a time, with support at the base and side. Alternatively use a padded tray to move a group of objects.
- Never store flat glass face-to-face. Separate the sheets to allow for air exchange.
- Examine objects thoroughly and record their condition, old repairs, makers’ marks or content residues before undertaking any cleaning or other treatment.
- Consult a conservator before treating degraded or painted glass.
- Desalinate glass recovered from burial or marine sites. Keep the glass wet following excavation and during desalination.