Skip to main content
- Inspect textiles for mould or insect attack and treat before adding them to a collection.
- Identify the materials from which textiles are manufactured.
- Maintain temperature and relative humidity at 15 – 25 °C and 45 – 55 % respectively with maximum variations of 4 °C and 5 % respectively in any 24 hour period.
- Keep light and UV levels to 50 lux and 1500 µW/m2 (30 µwatts/lumen) respectively.
- Wear cotton or vinyl gloves when handling textiles. Remove jewellery.
- Support textiles when moving them.
- Where possible, store textiles flat, within boxes with acid-free tissue supporting any folds.
- Support 3D objects with crushed acid free tissue or custom made cushions.
- Include sufficient padding to distribute the weight in hanging storage and use dust covers.
- Do not wash or starch as a routine procedure. Consult a conservator before carrying out any treatments.