Skip to main content
- If possible, identify the leather or types of leather used.
- Check for mould or insect attack and treat before adding leather objects to other collection items.
- Maintain the temperature at 25 °C or below and the relative humidity in the range 45 - 65 % with daily fluctuations limited to 4 °C and 5 % respectively.
- Control light levels to below 50 Lux and 1500 µW/m2 (30 µW/Lumen) for dyed leather and below 200 lux and 15,000 µW/m2 (75 µW/Lumen) for undyed leather.
- Do not fold or crease flat leather objects.
- Support shaped objects with inert foam material such as polyethylene, polypropylene or dacron.
- Store in acid-free boxes or use textile covers. These protect from dust and act as a buffer against changes in relative humidity.
- Consult a conservator if specific treatments are necessary.