Skip to main content
- Identify all materials within the object.
- Obtain as much background detail or history before starting any treatments.
- Handle only with cotton or rubber gloves.
- Maintain temperatures and relative humidity levels in the ranges 15 -25 °C and 40 – 60 % with maximum variations of 4 °C and 5 % respectively in any 24 hour period or at levels suitable for the most sensitive material of a composite object (see the chapter Preventive Conservation: Agents of Decay.)
- Avoid direct sunlight and control display lighting.
- Consult a conservator before treating ethnographic materials.